Scrumptious Strawberry Scones
The perfect leftover strawberry recipe! Easy to make and the kids love them! From Tartine Bakery Cookbook!
- 1/2 pint strawberries, frozen, then hulled & coarsely chopped
- 4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, very cold
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (I used 1 cup buttermilk, plus 1/2 cup milk)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- topping: about 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- topping: large crystal sugar or granulated sugar for sprinkling
Set oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Grating the lemon zest and set it aside then sift the flour into a large bowl.
Add the baking powder and baking soda along with the sugar and salt, and stir well.Slice the chilled butter and add cubes to the bowl. Using two knives, Cut the butter into the dry ingredients.
According to Tartine, the goal is to get a coarse mixture with pea-sized lumps of butter. Once achieved, add the buttermilk and milk as well as the lemon zest and frozen chopped strawberries, and mix as gently as possible with a rubber spatula just until the dough holds together. The dough will be pretty moist (and admittedly messy) so generously flour your work surface.
Tartine says to use your hands to pat the dough into a rectangle about 18 inches long, 5 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches thick.
Before you cut the rectangle into triangles, brush the top with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 25-35 minutes (I think mine only needed 25) until the tops are light golden.